Recently, I got a call from one of my friends working as IT professional. Her request was – “Gauri, please send details for a 5 days summer vacation to some place in India , which will have minimum network connection and make me feel relaxed with my family consisting a teenager. Only one single location, no hotel hopping & with lesser tourist crowd.”
I got that, she wanted to spend some time taking photographs of some beautiful surroundings and soak in the natural splendor. But more than that spend some time with herself, in quiet place which is immensely beautiful as well. Plus, I had to take care that the package cost should not exceed the budget she had suggested.
I suggested her of going to BINSAR. Binsar lies in the heart of Kumaon, Uttarakhand,India and in the lap of the great peaks of Nanda Devi, Trisul and Panchachuli (5 Peaks). Its about 33 km north of the Almora town in Uttarakhand, India. It is unique in the unparalleled beauty and breathtaking view of the Himalayas.
Binsar houses an unspoilt wildlife sanctuary that is home to hundreds of species of birds and animals like barking deer, musk deer, flying squirrels and Langurs. And if lucky, you can also sight Leopard too. Once you enter the wildlife sanctuary, it’s pure nature everywhere. I am attaching some photos from my personal visit to this beautiful place.
Binsar Wildlife Santuary is rich with forests containing three species of Himalayan Oaks, Chir Pine and Deodar
To experience the view of Himalayas peaks, head to Zero point (2 kms long trekking from the parking area & you need to have the minimum fitness level). When the sun breaks through the clouds and the mists suddenly part, you will be rewarded with utterly beautiful panorama of the Kumaoni Himalayas- the peaks of Trisul , Nanda Devi and Panchachuli group will feel close enough to touch. I was not so lucky to see the entire range of these peaks, due to clouds but could see Trisul peaks, when few clouds cleared up.
Visitors have an option to stay inside the sanctuary in a variety of accommodation ranging from Home stays in Villages to Forest rest House , KMVN guest House or in one of the private estates.
- Binsar wildlife sanctuary is situated in the heart of Kumaon, 30 km north-east of Almora town in the state of Uttrakhand in the Northern India.
- Altitude: 6600 ft above the sea level
- Best Season: March to May and September to November
- Temperature: Summer: 29.4° C Max, 9° C Min, Winter: 20° C Max, 02° C Min
- Distances: 370 km of Delhi, 110 km of Kathgodam (Railway Station), 30 km of Almora (Bus /Taxi services), 176 km of Corbett National Park, 95 km of Nainital, 62 km of Ranikhet, 70 km of Kausani., Pantnagar Airport 152 Km.
- Avoid going during monsoon as the region experiences landslides & roads are blocked.
- An experienced driver is recommended as few turns to some resorts are too sharp, steep and scary.
Activities/Places to visit during stay at Binsar wildlife sanctuary :
- Early Morning Bird watching trek with a certified guide, where you can photograph almost 50 different species of birds and if lucky can sight a leopard too.
- A 10TH Century marvel – Dandeshwar Shiv Temple in Jageshwar Dham, is open from 5.30 am to 11.00 am in the morning and from 4.30 pm to 8.30 pm in the evening.
- Zero Point, Binsar.
- Spend time at leisure at resort, take long walks on the mountain slopes, enjoy simple but tasty home like food.